top of page
  • Daniel Gray CPA Toronto

E-filing 1040NR (new and clarified) says: You can file your Form 1040NR electronically.

Beginning with your 2016 Form 1040NR, you can electronically file (e-file) your return.

The form instructions beneath the e-file form at which shows that the form is designed to include 1040NR state: Beginning in 2017, you can use Form 8879 to e-file your 2016 Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return.

The IRS does not allow electronic filing for Form 1040NR-EZ or Dual status returns. Those returns must be filed on paper.

A valid ITIN is necessary for efiling. Returns that use a temporary ITIN will not be eligible for efile, and should be paper filed.

2015 and prior Form 1040NR must be filed on paper.

989 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Tax AI vs Tax Pro

I tested out IRS's new Form 1042-S Data Integrity Tool at This software program provides a no-cost standalone tool to assist in complying with

bottom of page